Do You Dream of Home Ownership?
Habitat Choptank can help you achieve this goal. We are looking for hardworking low-income families and individuals who are are willing to save toward settlement costs, earn sweat equity hours, participate in life-skills seminars, budget for mortgage costs and work openly and honestly with a volunteer Habitat sponsor. Working through this multi-step process will empower you and provide you with the support necessary to promote your success as a Habitat home owner.
Am I Eligible to Apply for Habitat's Home Ownership Program?
If you can answer yes to the following questions then you might be eligible:
1. Have you lived and/or worked in Dorchester or Talbot County for at least six months?
3. Are you willing to partner with Choptank to complete 300-400 hours of Sweat Equity, save $4,000 toward settlement, attend life skill seminars, and work openly and honestly with a Habitat volunteer sponsor?
What is the Application Process?
1. Contact the Habitat Choptank office to complete a pre-screening questionnaire.
2. If you meet the preliminary criteria, you will be invited to an application/ orientation session. Completing an application will include credit and criminal background checks along with an employment and income verification. Names are also screened against the National Sex Offender Public Registry.
3. After you have successfully completed the application orientation and screening, Habitat representatives will visit you in your home.
4. If your application meets the application criteria, it will be presented for approval to Habitat Choptank's Family Selection Committee and then to the Board of Directors.
Habitat for Humanity Choptank's home ownership program is centered on the partnership between volunteers and God's people in need. Every partner family must earn 300-400 hours of sweat equity (based on family size) before going to settlement by volunteering on the construction sites helping to build their future home and other Habitat homes. At least 200 of these hours must be earned by members of the family who will live in the house. Extended family members who will not live in the house, friends and the Habitat volunteer sponsor may help partners to accrue sweat equity.
To learn more, contact us by email us or call 410-476-3204.
Habitat for Humanity Choptank does not discriminate on the basis on race, color,
Habitat for Humanity Choptank
P.O. Box 2366